I decided that this summer was THE summer I was going to do some cool things for my classroom. One of my pet peeves is students having to drag their chairs back and forth to the small group table. A fellow coworker had made some crate seats about 2 years ago– and I have decided to join the crate seat bandwagon!
I like to keep it simple (and cheap)– I made 6 seats for easily under $90.
Here is my supply list:
6 black file crates (or any color you want! Or you can always get spray paint for plastic and paint them!)
- 2 sets of foam (4 pieces per package– found near the fabric in Wal-Mart)
- 2 large pieces of 1/2 inch thick plywood (bought at a local lumber store– I set the crate on top and figured that each piece would make 3 toppers– so 2×3=6! Yay! 3rd Grade math!)
- Staple Gun (a carpenter one)
- Scissors (both fabric & paper)
- 3 yards of fabric (whatever color tickles your fancy)
Now for the fun part! (Or as I like to call it– “the part that hurt my hands and knees because I may be getting too old to sit on the floor and do projects”!)
|I opted for slightly pricier foam for comfort reasons 🙂|
My classroom colors this year are navy and yellow– so I bought those colors in fabric. Here is a finished seat:
Yay! Do you have any DIY ideas for the classroom? Or have you done this before? I’d love to read other ideas and tips– so please leave me some info in the comments below!