So what is Class Dojo? It’s a website that you log-in to from a computer (they also have free apps for iphones and ipads!)– you create a class. If you have 1 class, that’s fine. If you have 7 classes– that’s also fine. You can make as many classes as you need. You can input student names and give them little monster characters (my kids love picking these out). Here are a few examples:
Then you can set up “reward points” and give them out during class. There is also a way to give negative points– but I always try to find something positive! Anyway, here is how I use it with an economy system in my classroom:
1. I begin each Monday by clearing out student points (everyone starts fresh at 0).
2. I hand out points throughout the week based on behavior.
3. On Friday afternoons I hand out fake “Dojo Dollars” to match point value. For example, if John Doe earned 12 points that week, he gets $12.
4. Students can trade in Dojo Dollars for fun/free rewards on my reward posters (which I post in a bulletin board in my room).
5. I keep track of weekly points earns using a little excel chart with student names.
I love the Dojo Dollars because it doesn’t require me to constantly keep track of/subtract points. Plus they love the feeling of going “shopping”! I always tell my kids– if you lose your money I can’t repay them– to hold them more responsible.
Here is my bulletin board:
For my “100 Points” club– there is a way on Class Dojo to check overall points earned. When a student has reached 100 points– I have printed out/laminated mini Dojo characters– they get to pick one! I will write their name on it and staple it to the board. (This is new for me this year– but I’m excited!)
Here are my Dojo dollars– all ready to go!
Click the pictures below to purchase your own set of templates and design to your fancy!